Dr. Lane is an Associate Professor of Health Care Management and the MHA Program Director, a Fellow in the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE), and a licensed nursing home administrator. Dr. Lane’s operational experience includes acute care, long-term care and ancillary services. She has served on the Greater Charlotte Healthcare Executives Group board, ACHE Examination Committee, and is an active member of the Southern Gerontologic Society and academic reviewer for the National Association of Long-Term Care Administrator Boards. Prior to accepting her current position in the College of Health Sciences, she spent seven years as the Program Chair of the Health Services Leadership and Management Program at Cabarrus College of Health Sciences. In addition, she has 12 years of adjunct teaching experience for Southern Illinois University’s Off-Campus Academic Programs and Pfeiffer University. Dr. Lane earned the inaugural Anita A. Brown Leadership in Education Award; the ACHE Regents award; and the ACHE Service Award. Her scholarly work has been published in the Health Care Management and Review, Journal of Health Administration Education, Prehosptial and Disaster Medicine, International Journal of Disaster and Risk Reduction, and the Gerontologist. She has presented nationally, regionally, and locally on topics such as: Nursing Home Emergency Preparedness.
Current Courses Teaching
- HCM 5730 Leadership in Health Care
- HCM 4630 Principles of Leadership for Health Services Organizations
Professional Affiliations / Organizations
- American College of Healthcare Executives – Fellow
- Greater Charlotte Healthcare Executives Group - President 2010; Communications Co-Chair 2011-2013, current member
- Licensed Nursing Home Administrator – NC
- Association of University Programs in Health Administration – Member, Post-Acute Care Faculty Forum Chair
- National Association of Long-Term Care Administrator Boards – Academic and NCERS reviewer, member of the Education Committee
- Southern Gerontologic Society – Chair Development Committee
Dr. Lane’s interests' center around the impact of policy, health system structure, management processes, and financing on quality of care for older adults.
Selected Presentations & Publications
- Lane, S. J., Sugg, M. Spaulding, T., Iyer, L., & Hege, A. (2022) Self-Reported Resilience of North Carolina Long-Term Care Organizations and Public Health Agencies in the midst of the COVID-19 Pandemic. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction.82(9980):10337. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijdrr.2022.103371.
- Lane, S.J., Sugg, M., Spaulding, T.J., Hege, A., & Iyer, L. (2022) Southeastern United States Predictors of COVID-19 in Nursing Homes. Journal of Applied Geronotology. 41(7) p 1641-1650. https://doi.org/10.1177/07334648221082022.
- Sugg, M., Spaulding, T., Lane, S.J., Runkle, J., Harden, S., Hege, A., & Iyer, L. (2021) Mapping Community-Level Determinants of COVID-19 Transmission in Nursing Homes: A multi-scale approach. Science of the Total Environment (752) 15 January 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.141946
- Lane, S.J. Spaulding, T.J., Sugg, M., & Iyer, L. Predicting COVID-19 Outbreak in U.S. Nursing Homes Based on Location, Quality Metrics, and Staffing Levels. 2021 Forum on Advances in Healthcare Management Research at the ACHE’s Annual Congress on Healthcare Leadership, Chicago, IL Virtual (March 22-25, 2021).
- Lane, S.J. (2021) Post-Acute Care Decision-Making in Emergency Preparedness: A Case Study of Hurricanes Florence and Michael. Journal of Health Administration Education, 38(3), p.796-784.
- Wilson, M.J., Lane, S.J., Raghuveer, M., & Sugg, M. (2020) Internal and External Validation of Vulnerability Indices: A Case Study of the Multivariate Nursing Home Vulnerability Index. Natural Hazards, 100.p.1013-1036. doi.org/10.1007/s11069-019-03837-4.
- Wilson, M.J., Sugg, M. & Lane, S.J. (2019) Identifying Multivariate Vulnerability of Nursing Home Facilities throughout the Southeastern United States. International Journal of Disaster & Risk Reduction 34, doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2019.101106.
- Lane, S.J. & McGrady, E. (2016) Nursing Home Self-Assessment of Implementation of Emergency Preparedness Standards, Prehospital and Disaster Medicine. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1049023X16000492
- Lane, S.J., Troyer, J.L., Dienemann, J.A., Laditka, S.B., & Blanchette, C.M. (2014) Effects of Facility Characteristics on Medication Errors during Nursing Home Admission. Health Care Management Review, 39(4): 340-351. doi: 10.1097/HMR.0000000000000000
- Walsh, J., Lane, S.J. & Troyer, J.L. (2014) Impact of Medication Aide use on Skilled Nursing Facility Quality. The Gerontologist, 54(6): 976-988. doi: 10.1093/geront/gnt085.