Dr. Williams began his career in academia at Appalachian State in 2003 as an assistant professor in the Management Department of the Walker College of Business. As a former healthcare executive who has worked for both for-profit and not-for-profit organizations, he has experience working with health systems, managed care organizations, and physician practices. He continues to provide advice to organizations and former students and colleagues. His research interests lie in factors associated with entrepreneurship and strategic management of healthcare organizations. His research has been presented at the Academy of Management, Association of University Programs in Health Administration, and Southern Management Association, among others. He has won both external research and internal service awards. He has been the healthcare program’s student club faculty advisor since 2008, and is active in service at the program, department, college, and university level. When not at work, he is the family “chauffeur” and enjoys fly-fishing.
- Ph.D. Administration—Health Services, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Master of Health Administration, Georgia State University
- Master of Business Administration, Georgia State University
- B.A. English Literature, Wofford College
- Biopharmaceutical & Healthcare IPOs
- Economic Amalgamation in Healthcare
- Mergers & Acquisitions in Healthcare
- Real Option Reasoning
- HCM 3800 and HCM 3810 Professional Development I & II
- HCM 4950 Senior Seminar in Healthcare Management
- HCM 2110 Introduction to the Management of Health Organizations
- Strategic Management
- Issues in Health Care Administration/Managed Care
- Management Processes & Behavior
- American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE)–Fellow
- Association of University Programs in Health Administration–Member
- Southern Management Association—Member
Selected Presentations & Publications
- Williams, D.R., 2015. “The Costs of Biopharmaceutical Firms Going Public in the U.S,” Journal of Health Care Finance. Spring: 1-11.
- Chuang, C., Coffey, B.S., Williams, D.R., & Pouder, R.W., 2015. “Perspectives on Universal Health Insurance and Coverage of Traditional Medicine: The Case of Taiwan,” Journal of International Business Research. 14(1): 101-116.
- Williams, D.R., 2013. “Human and Financial Capital as Determinants of Biopharmaceutical IPO De-listings,” Journal of Business Research. 66: 2612-2618.
- Williams, D.R., 2013. The Funding of Biopharmaceutical Research and Development. Cambridge, England: Woodhead/Elsevier Publishing.
- Williams, D.R. & Young, C.C., 2012. “The Role of Pre-IPO Financial Indicators and Intermediaries in Aftermarket Performance and Survival in the U.S. Bio-pharmaceutical Market,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation. 7: 127-139.
- Frazier, B., Young, C.C., & Williams, D.R., 2012. “Profiles of Non-traditional Adult MHA and MBA Students and Their Choice of Degree Program,” Journal of Health Administration Education. 29(3): 195-218.
- Young, C.C. & Williams, D.R., 2011. “Influences of Hospital Structure on Medical Malpractice Claims Costs,” Academy of Health Care Management Journal. 7(1): 1-14.
- Williams, D.R. & Pouder, R.W., 2010. “R&D Spending and Sources of Funding of Private U.S. Biopharmaceutical Firms Seeking to Go Public,” Journal of Commercial Biotechnology. 16(4): 284-292. Also published separately in Journal of Commercial Biotechnology: Unmissable Management Articles.
- Williams, D.R., Duncan, W.J., & Ginter, P.M., 2010. “Testing a Model of Signals in the IPO Offer Process,” Small Business Economics. 34(4): 445-463.
- Williams, D.R., Young, C.C., Shewchuk, R. M., & Qu, H., 2010. “Strategic Groupings of U.S. Biotechnology IPOs and a Measure of their Market Influence,” Technology Analysis & Strategic Management. 22(4): 399-415.