Dr. Williams began his career in academia at Appalachian State in 2003. As a former senior healthcare executive who has worked for both for-profit and not-for-profit organizations, he has experience working with health systems, managed care organizations, and physician practices. He continues to provide advice to former executive colleagues and students. He teaches at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. His research interests lie in factors associated with entrepreneurship and strategic management of healthcare organizations. His research has been presented at the Academy of Management, Association of University Programs in Health Administration, and Southern Management Association, among others. He has won both external research and internal service awards. The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America has funded his research. He is a Fellow in the American College of Healthcare Executives. He was the undergraduate HCM Program Director for eight years, stepping down to become a Fulbright Scholar at the Management Center Innsbruck (Austria). When not at work, Dr. Williams enjoys the sporting life and arts with his family.
- Ph.D. Administration—Health Services, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Master of Health Administration, Georgia State University
- Master of Business Administration, Georgia State University
- Bachelor of Arts, Wofford College
- Biopharmaceutical & Healthcare IPOs
- Economic Agglomeration and Ecosystems in Healthcare
- Mergers & Acquisitions in Healthcare
- Real Option Reasoning
- Health Care Strategic Management
- Internship & Practicum
- Issues in Health Care Administration/Managed Care
- Management Processes & Behavior
- Managing U.S. Health Care Organizations
- Professional Development I & II
- Senior Seminar in Health Care Management
- Strategic Management
- American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE)–Fellow
- Association of University Programs in Health Administration–Member
- Southern Management Association—Member
Selected Presentations & Publications
- Williams, D.R. & Pouder, R.W. (forthcoming). “Are Explicit Knowledge Transfers Clustered or Diffused in the US Biopharmaceutical Market Sector?” Entrepreneurship & Regional Development. 1-16.
- Williams, D.R. & Young, C.C. (forthcoming) “Post-Financial Crisis Transaction Announcement Trends in the U.S. Biotechnology Market,” Journal of Commercial Biotechnology. 1-10.
- Williams, D.R. (forthcoming). “Knowledge Transfers in the US Biopharma-ceutical Market During a Time of Transition,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation. 1-10.
- Williams, D.R. & Spaulding, T.J. 2018. “An Empirical Study of the Determinants of Location of Hospital Mergers and Acquisitions Announcements: 1997-2016,” Journal of Health Care Finance. 45(1): 1-20.
- Williams, D.R. & Spaulding, T.J. 2018. “The Inherent Risk Associated with Newly Traded Biopharmaceutical Firms,” Drug Discovery Today. 23(9): 1680-1688.
- Williams, D.R., Coffey, B.S. & Young, C.C. 2018. “Human Capital and Agency Effects on CEO Compensation of IPO Biopharmaceutical Firms and the Market’s Response,” Journal of Management and Governance. 22(2): 315-337.
- Williams, D.R., Young, C.C., & Coffey B.S. 2017. “Acquisitions in the Biopharmaceutical IPO Market: Collaboration, Competition and Co-opetition,” Managerial and Decision Economics. 38(8): 1162-1171.
- Williams, D.R., 2015. “The Costs of Biopharmaceutical Firms Going Public in the U.S,” Journal of Health Care Finance. 41(4): 1-11.
- Chuang, C., Coffey, B.S., Williams, D.R., & Pouder, R.W., 2015. “Perspectives on Universal Health Insurance and Coverage of Traditional Medicine: The Case of Taiwan,” Journal of International Business Research. 14(1): 101-116.
- Williams, D.R., 2013. “Human and Financial Capital as Determinants of Biopharmaceutical IPO De-listings,” Journal of Business Research. 66: 2612-2618.
- Williams, D.R., 2013. The Funding of Biopharmaceutical Research and Development. Cambridge, England: Elsevier Publishing.
- Williams, D.R. & Young, C.C., 2012. “The Role of Pre-IPO Financial Indicators and Intermediaries in Aftermarket Performance and Survival in the U.S. Bio-pharmaceutical Market,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation. 7: 127-139.
- Frazier, B., Young, C.C., & Williams, D.R., 2012. “Profiles of Non-traditional Adult MHA and MBA Students and Their Choice of Degree Program,” Journal of Health Administration Education. 29(3): 195-218.
- Young, C.C. & Williams, D.R., 2011. “Influences of Hospital Structure on Medical Malpractice Claims Costs,” Academy of Health Care Management Journal. 7(1): 1-14.
- Williams, D.R. & Pouder, R.W., 2010. “R&D Spending and Sources of Funding of Private U.S. Biopharmaceutical Firms Seeking to Go Public,” Journal of Commercial Biotechnology. 16(4): 284-292. Also published separately in Journal of Commercial Biotechnology: Unmissable Management Articles.
- Williams, D.R., Duncan, W.J., & Ginter, P.M., 2010. “Testing a Model of Signals in the IPO Offer Process,” Small Business Economics. 34(4): 445-463.
- Williams, D.R., Young, C.C., Shewchuk, R. M., & Qu, H., 2010. “Strategic Groupings of U.S. Biotechnology IPOs and a Measure of their Market Influence,” Technology Analysis & Strategic Management. 22(4): 399-415.